How to Apply Eyeliner: Creating a Gorgeous Eye Makeup Transformation
How to apply eyeliner is a skill that needs the practice and discipline to become master with sophistication and elegance. Your hands need to be delicate to come up with the artistic stroke for your makeup. If you have mastered the techniques and proper tools for your eyeliner, surely everything will be easy for you!
How to apply eyeliner technique can be learned over time. You can practice the different styles using the various eyeliner brushes. Also, you will get many chances to get different looks from different shades of eyeliner. The shades of eyeliner should complement your eyeshadow and skin color.
There are different eyeliner types. But the most popular among them are pencil, liquid, and gel eyeliners. For beginners, you can start with pencil eyeliners. It is the traditional eyeliner of many. You can use as many of the best pen eyeliners out there. It is easy to use, and you can have fewer smudges while using it. Then you can also try the liquid eyeliners. Liquid eyeliners are best suited to make a wing effect at the outer area of your eyelids. Most liquid eyeliners come with brush applicators. For the last one, you can still try the gel eyeliners. It comes with the darkest shades, but thankfully, you will not get any smudge while using it.
The next thing you need to do with your own eyeliner makeup is to have the appropriate brush for every type of application. You need a set of brushes that can help you in creating any styles of eyeliner makeup.
How to put eyeliner on using the right brush?
First, you need to try the basic eyeliner brush. It is has a slim tip that is useful for fine lines only. Although, you cannot use it for layering lines, curved, or winged eyeliners.
If you are already a master of using the basic brush, then it is time to move on with the dome-shaped semi flat brush. The dome-shaped semi-flat brush is ideally for gel eyeliners. You can use it to make a moderately thick line in your eyelids. As an effect, you can have the winged eyeliner shape by using the dome-shaped semi-flat brush.
Brushes like angled bent and flat-angled tip are useful to have a slick eyeliner makeup.
For angled bent eyeliner brush, you can create a thin line that gives you a more natural look even wearing eyeliners. It is your choice to have curved edges or curved wing because of the bent side of the brush.
On the other hand, the flat angled tip brush is perfect to create cat eyeliner brush strokes. It has several sizes that you can use. Your selection starts from small, medium, and large angled brushes. All these brushes can be used to create slant or tight lines. You can also add solid lines in your cat eyeliner utilizing this brush.
The last brush that we can recommend you is the flat tip brush. Because like the basic eyeliner brush, this brush also has a flat tip to create an accurate straight line. It can make eye shadow on the eyelid to make a straight line.
What is its importance?
Now, you might ask why we need to select and understand the importance of every eyeliner brush and does it make a difference if you will use other brushes like the ones you have been using for your eyeshadows?
The benefits of using different eyeliner brushes are to maintain a free line and precision eye makeup. With the perfect brush and styles for your eyeliner, you can show the true meaning of sophistication and elegance.
How to apply eyeliner: four easy steps for beginners
So, you need to know how to apply eyeliner and the right strokes in your makeup. The tools, including your choice of brushes, primer, and concealer can make the looks of perfect eyeliner.
- Before doing your eyeliner, apply your eye cream around your eyes. It will normalize all uneven areas and provide smooth textures around your eyes.
- Then, apply some eye primer around your eyes especially on the eyelids, under your eyes, and the portion around your eyes that you will put makeup on. The primer helps to make a smooth application of eyeliner and stay for a longer time.
- Afterwards, you need to prepare concealers for the parts of your eyes where you apply the primer. Blend it thoroughly with the primer.
- Finally, make a line of small strokes above your eyelashes. Make sure you are satisfied with the location for your eyeliner. If so, you can connect each stroke and make a full line. Add a smudged effect below your lower eyelash line for a more professional look.
There you have it. The easy steps on how to apply eyeliner for beginners include the basics like the pencil eyeliner.
How to apply liquid eyeliner for beginners?
The next thing you need to learn about eye makeup is the right application of liquid eyeliner. Here are the systematic forms of liquid eyeliner for your upper eyelids.
- Make sure your brush is positioned flat. You should avoid the application of liquid eyeliner in a straight position. It will make your eyeliner messy.
- You should start the application from the middle of your eyelid towards the outer corner of your eyes. Then, the inner corners follow.
- When you create a wing using liquid eyeliner, your strokes should be upward. Make sure that you follow the lower eyelash line.
On the other hand, the liquid eyeliner for your lower eyelid has different ways to apply. Here are the few steps on how to apply eyeliner liquid eye makeup.
- By using a thin brush, make a line on your lower eyelashes. The direction should be going towards the outer corners. You should have an elongated frame.
- Continue applying the liquid eyeliner to the inner corners from the middle part of your eyelid.
- By lowering the eyeliner, about two millimeters from your tear duct area will give you a more prominent eye look. The line should be lengthened from the top lid going to the inner bottom corner.
- Fill the gaps in your eyeliners, forward and backward brushing.
How to apply eyeliner to create the winged eyeliner effect?
As you have learned the tools and basic eyeliner application methods, you can now try to make the winged eyeliner. With winged eyeliner, you can keep your eye exciting and expressive.
To make a winged eyeliner is not as easy as the previous eyeliner application. In this case, we will provide you with some eyeliner apply tips to make the ideal winged eyeliner.
Tip # 1: Make a winged eyeliner look using an angled brush.
- Damp your angled brush in your eyeliner palette.
- Then make a line from inner to the outer corner of your eye.
- Put the same brush and create an upper curve over it.
- Widen the eyeliner to the inner corner and fill the blanks in between your eyeliner.
Tip # 2: Make use of scotch tape to create a winged eyeliner
- Have a 2 cm long scotch tape.
- Use it to your outer edge in an angle where you want to make your winged eyeliner.
- Follow the outlines of the tape to make the angled edge of your eyeliner.
- Make the finishing touch by lengthening the upper eyelash line.
Tip # 3: Use a spoon to make the winged eyeliner easily
- Create a straight line using the spoon handle at the outer corner of your eye.
- Place the scoop of the spoon to cup your eyelids.
- You can have the round edge of the spoon for the curve tip of your wing.
- Make sure that there are no gaps in your eyeliner.
Tip # 4: Use an outdated business card as a stencil for your winged eyeliner
- Prepare an old business card and place over your eyes.
- Make trace lines that will match your eyes and the pattern you like.
- Cut the pattern and used it as a stencil for your winged eyeliner.
After learning some of the tips to prepare the winged eyeliner, you can now move to the next eyeliner style.
How to apply eyeliner and achieved the cat eyeliner?
The cat eye style is another fashion for your eyes that you need to learn. By following these simple steps, you can have your own eyeliner cat eye. You need to prepare some tools like a primer, natural shades of an eyeshadow palette, flat and blending brushes, eyeliners, and liquid foundation. If you have no liquid eyeliner, the gel eyeliner will do the trick.
Here are some steps for your own version of cat eyeliner:
- Make a preparation using the primer.
- Use the natural eyeshadow to make a base for your eyeliner.
- Remember that darker shades can create a contour in your eyes.
- Draw short dashes across your lid, and if satisfied with the color and thickness, you can draw in a straight line.
- To start the lower part of the wing, use the bottom eyelid to create the final wing for the cat eye.
- Connect the outer tip of the wing back into the eyeliner to create a triangle shape.
- Fill the hollow triangle with your eyeliner.
- Use the flat brush to sharpen the dullness on the bottom of the wing.
After learning the techniques about liquid eyeliner, you may seem to wonder how to avoid the smudges. You will also become eager about how you can prevent mistakes, the next time you will do your eyeliner.
So, how can you avoid imperfections in your eyeliner?
The first thing you can do is to choose the right eyeliner. Therefore, go for the waterproof eyeliner and make less smudge in your face. Make sure that your eyeliner can stay longer in your eyes.
Then, try to relax your hands. When applying eyeliner, the best position is to sit down with your elbow on a table or flat surface. With this setup, you can avoid the shakiness of your hands.
Make sure that you avoid creating a straight line with your eyeliner. The effective way to have the right weight and edges of your eyeliner is to create dots or dashes. Then you can connect them if you’re satisfied with the color, length, and depth of your eyeliner.
Furthermore, if you have small eyes, never do a complete closed eyeliner to your eyes as it will make the eyes look more modest than what they are. On the other hand, if you have big and round eyes, apply a complete closed eyeliner with a deep border in your eyelids.
Avoid too much pull of your eye when applying the eyeliner. It will cause you an unusual texture afterwards. To anchor your skin with the eyeliner, you can use your fingers.
If you’ve learned from the above, how to do all the eyeliner, then there is only one problem left that needs to be determined. And that is the smudging of your eyeliner.
Ways to prevent the smudging of eyeliner
To avoid the smudge of your eyeliner, you need to study where your lapses are that causes this dilemma. There are ways to prevent the smudging of your eyeliner around your eyes. The first thing you need to check is the quality of your eyeliner. Invest in an eyeliner that will lessen the stain from your eyeliner.
You can also make use of your concealer to prevent your eyeliner and skin from having direct contact. The concealer has ingredients that go along with your eyeliner. You can also use some face powder to keep off the eyeliner stain. If you are going to apply another layer for your eyeliner, you need to smudge the first layer of your eyeliner. Then reapply again. It is the same beauty hacks with your lipstick.
For the long-lasting effect of your eyeliner, you can use the eyeliner sealers. The sealers will keep your eyeliner stay longer and prevent it from smearing around your eyelids. Therefore, no more smudge in your eyes.
Quick Facts on Eyeliner
With the tricks and tools to be used for making eyeliner, here are some facts that might get your dilemmas resolved.
Fact # 1: You can have different shades, but it should complement the color of your eyes. If you have green eyes, you should choose red undertones like purple and bronze. For blue eyes, you can have shades of purple, brown, gray, and silver. For hazel eyes, similar colors are gold, brown, and green. It will emphasize the color of your eyes. For brown eyes, which is common, the colors will be blue, purples, and metallic tones. You need to avoid using darker shades.
Fact # 2: You can use your lipstick and lip liner for your eyeliner, but only in pencil forms. Remember that the ingredients of lipstick compared to eyeliner are different.
Fact # 3: Always curl your lashes before doing your eyeliner. It will prevent the distortion of your eyeliner.
Fact #4: You can also have that smokey eyes, by using pencil eyeliner. The secret is in the strokes and the right smudging and blending techniques.
Beauty products have compounds that may harm your skin if you have sensitive skin. Make sure that you will consider natural and organic makeup. You can also have beauty products that contain hypoallergenic compounds if you insist on using makeup. But the most important that you need to do is to consult first your dermatologist for some medical advice. No one wants to sacrifice your health to look more glamorous.